Friday, November 15, 2013

Snowy, Gnomey, Christmas

The first of many Christmas Greetings, to you!  Taking the Online Card Classes "Holiday Card Workshop" to make a few cards and tags and get my seasonal celebrations started!

Let me just begin by saying I'm getting far more than I hoped for!  The designs are fun, the variety among the "Designers" is fabulous and the tips here and there are great, too.  But, that's not what I meant, really.

The first card went pretty much as planned.  Yep, embossing, washi tape for some accent borders and an adorable Paper Smooches Snowman for a focal point and a die cut snowflake for another little design element.  Easy Peasy.



I loved the Kristina's design so much that I made another.  Same basic idea, only used the Stars and Swirls embossing folder instead.  Switched up the color on the Washi tape and used Simon Says Stamp set, "Gnome for the Holidays," Gnome.  Colored him up with Copics and embossed the sentiment, tied my twine and was good, right?  Not exactly.  I decided that maybe I'd embellish his eyes with a teeny bit of Enamel Accents (like glossy accents) in black.  Lesson #1 - Squeeze out just a bit of your enamel accents onto a separate piece of paper first, before either taking a small tool to apply to your desired area. If you have it flowing well and covering a larger area, then go for it.  My Gnome had a permanent black eye.  Ugh.  So, this is the "Do-Over!"



Then, why I was inspired to make another card is beyond me, but this was brought on by some desire to mask since there are some super cute stencil ideas in class this time.
Easy to think of Northern Lights since we have them in our sky, here.  Made a random mask for my mountains and colored up some Borealis.  Used my Savvy Igloo die and the cute little skating bird.  Then the fun began.  Lesson #2 - If you need a new Zig, 2 way glue pen, buy it.  I fiddled with mine, trying to make it work and when it finally did, it broke loose with super large swath making a lot larger glitter  skating area than I originally wanted!  Lesson #3 - Always, always trust your stamp positioner.  Why?  Because not all wood mounted sentiment stamps are created equal.  Some are created "Crooked."  All that said - I'm still having fun and learning new things every day!

1 comment:

  1. I visit your blog and long to be back in Alaska. I still think of you and your teaching me and introducing me to Copic Markers. I hope you are doing well! ~Pamela Knopf (was a tour guide on the train in 2009)

    ReplyDelete